The journey to the Competence by Design initiative
The Royal College, in collaboration with key partners, has been exploring how to incorporate competency-based medical education (CBME) across the spectrum of medical education since 2009. Here is a history of the CBME journey.
- 2005: Royal College undertakes Core Competency Project with the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC).
- 2010: Royal College partners with the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada, the Collège des médecins du Québec and CFPC to support the Future of Medical Education in Canada Postgraduate (FMEC-PG) Project.
- 2010: Competence by Design white papers* are developed as part of the Royal College’s contribution to FMEC-PG.
- 2010 – 2011: Royal College invites Fellows to provide feedback on white papers.
- 2012: FMEC-PG recommends a shift to a competency-based medical education system in Canada. Undergraduate and postgraduate medical education communities endorse this move.
- 2013: Royal College launches the CBD initiative.